Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Life of an Ant is a busy one...

I sat on the train platform last night, feeling a little out of sorts [which seems to be my lot these days! Must be getting menopausal or something! Eeeek!] Anyway I was tired and was watching with fascination, a little lone ant who had picked up a potato chip crumb. Well to me it looked like a small crumb but to the little ant he looked as though he was carrying a double storey house on his shoulders! Anyway the train platform is just made of uneven pavings so I watched as this little ant, carrying the weight of the world on his back, tried to traverse over hill and dale and completely fascinated at his diligence. Not once did he falter in his mission until....

Some dude in a suit marched on by and stomped my little ant and his booty into the pavement. Devastated! Reminded me just how fragile life can be.

Anyway...my week that was, was pretty redundant. BORING as usual...My burst of energy returned just in time on Saturday to give me renewed enthusiasm to have my house spring cleaned in time for Christmas. Some friends of ours from Canberra (actually these friends are MM's ex-wife's brother, his wife and their 5 kids who we get on extremely well with) might be coming to Queensland for a visit and have asked to stay with us which is what they usually do as the husband can't stand his own family and always sided with MM in the break up of his marriage to his sister. And the wife has always hated MM's ex-wife with a passion so we get on like a house on fire much to the distaste of the ex-wife. And the kids have always called me "Aunty" and are beautiful kids and I just love having them around.

So its spring clean time and trying to organise bedding and such which won't be as hard as last time they stayed when our three kids lived with us as well. Now we have 2 spare beds with three empty beds so it won't be any huge hassle. They haven't completely made up their minds yet if they are coming but if they don't no matter. My house will be spotless anyway!

My niece and my mum spent Saturday morning over at my house. Miss 17 has to complete her photography portfolio before they will accept her into her Photography course and because mum's printer chose that very week to give up the ghost, she came over to borrow our printer. So we spent the morning choosing photos for her portfolio, labelling them and printing them and binding them in a folder ready to be taken to TAFE. She was taking a day off from school with her boyfriend and going in with him to Southbank to deliver it. She was offered also a course doing Travel Agency stuff so she will apply for that one as well in case she can't get into photography. This way, she says, she can travel and do photography while on her travels and she would be happy with that although very disappointed if she can't get her first choice. So we will see how she goes.

Sunday I went shopping for the first time in ages. On Tuesday our office was having its annual Melbourne Cup do and our department decided we would glam it up this year. Normally I don't bother as I just don't do glam all that well. BUT I did actually buy myself a really pretty silky maxi dress and some heels and a pretty fascinator for my hair. WOW! I must admit I did look pretty alright. MM had to look twice to make sure it was me and Miss 23 walked up to me and said "You look really beautiful"...aww shucks...

It was also Halloween and even though we don't celebrate it any form [don't even have anything to give the kiddies even if they did show up, not because we are mean and nasty but simply because I always forget!], I don't begrudge those who want to dress up. Saw a couple of kiddies dressed up with their mums and they had their little 'candy buckets' (I hate how we now call lollies candy!). Really very cute but some guys went past them yelling at them about how we lived in Australia and not America. That really annoyed me. Considering the tradition didn't even originate in the US anyway and why can't people have a bit of fun dressing up and being silly. Like I said it's not for me but I know people from work who have Halloween parties and such and just people having a great time. Other countries don't have the monopoly on fun is the way I see it. As for the trick and treating well in our neighbourhood it doesn't have to be Halloween for the teenagers to be vandalising something as a "trick". It's all a storm in a teacup really. I just think people are free to believe what they want.

At work on Tuesday for Melbourne Cup everyone was like "wow look at you". I'm sure there are photos being splashed around somewhere. Our IT guy was snapping away madly with the camera. So needless to say I felt like a fraud the whole day! And I really am not comfortable in a dress or skirt I have decided. I kept worrying that I was missing something...like my pants for instance! The girls all wore their heels at lunch only and as soon as the race was over, back to our flatties...ahhhhh...bliss *grin*. I don't bet on Melbourne Cup however do spend on the office sweepstake. For $5 I won back $6 so I made a whole dollar! Yay me!

Anyway now it is Thursday and I am thinking of having Thai for dinner. I am loving our new Thai Restaurant at home. The food there is very nice and very reasonably priced way cheaper than if we were to order pizza or KFC. And I have a craving for curry lately so it satifies that craving as well.

Oh and Krispy Kremes are almost no more! Nooooo...say it isn't so. Mind you its been about 6 months since my last Krispy Kreme so I blame myself really...

I told MM last night that I was going to order myself and Daughter No. 2 a Kindle for Christmas. A lady from work just received hers from Amazon.com and wow I love it and want it. Considering I pay $30-$40 for a novel these days I figure I can have the thing paid for with just 3 books. Miss 23 and I drooled over them one night on the amazon.com site. They hold 3500 books! Awesome! Plus when MM and I finally go on our cruise I will have a nice little stash of reading material with all fitting into my little handbag. MM has told me I can have one so long as I never "Buy" a book or magazine ever again. There are other more expensive book readers around but I don't care about all the bells and whistles and the Kindle seems to do everything I want it to do. So now we wait and see.

2 comments:

SOL's view said...

Poor little ant. All that work for nothing...

Your Melbourne Cup day sounds like fun. My supervisor complimented me on my dress - and all I had done was actually remembered to put on my heels. Which I keep permanently under my desk. And always forget to wear. I come in in thongs and that's what I stay in. I didn't bet, but made sure I got something from the luncheon our office organised. Chicken, cake and champers. :)

Anonymous said...

SHOW US A PHOTO OF YOUR MELBOURNE CUP OUTFIT! Don't keep us in suspense! I didn't go to a function or even have a bet! Next year we will be in Perth for Halloween and Melbourne cup. I love the dressing up for halloween but I don't think the trick or treating is a good idea. My cousin's house got egged one year because she didn't give them lollies. LOVE SHAZ (PS when is your cruise?)