Monday, November 8, 2010

Tuesday...

Well here I am...It's Tuesday I am at work although not busy as you can see *grin*

Just got off the phone to MM who has finally dragged his aching body to the doctors after me nagging him continuously for the past 5 years or so. About 6 months ago his "restless leg syndrome" started flaring up again and in the midst of a nocturnal "kicking" somehow did an injury to his knee. The next morning he got out of bed barely able to move and has been semi crippled by the knee ever since. A couple of days ago it looked super-swollen. I touched his knee and told him it felt like there wasa build up of fluid there. He looked at his knee and got quite a shock himself...his knee was huge and extremely puffy. So today he made an appointment to see my GP as they bulk bill and he hates having to pay cash to a doctor. MM has not been to a doctor since I have known him (about 13-14 years). The only time he has been near anyone medical was a couple of years ago when he collapsed and I thought he had a stroke as he wouldn't wake and I had to call the ambulance. He had spent that night in hospital and numerous tests later could find nothing wrong. It was just a "turn" of sorts. At t he time they asked me who his GP was and I had to tell them he didn't have one. "Surely he must have a GP" said They. "Nope" said I, "I can't even tell you when he last went as he hadn't been to one in all t he time I had known him." I had even rung his mother to find out and the last time she recalled was when he was 19 and lost his thumb when he was sheet metal working and that was about 25 years ago!

Anyway he ended up today seeing my GP's husband also a doctor at the same surgery. They are both Indian but very nice and easy to understand and they actually show concern for their patients. They will let you stay as long as you need for them to find out everything so they can best diagnose. MM was impressed and he hates doctors. Anyway he had this poor doctor pulling out his hair when he asked for MM's medical history.

MM: "You want ALL my medical history"

Dr: "As much as you can remember yes"

MM: "How fast can you type and how much time do we have"

Dr: "As much time as you need"

MM: *Proceeds to give Dr details of ALL the broken bones and operations he has had since he was a child including the broken back and spinal operations as a 12 year old, the broken collar bones, arms, fingers whilst playing football, the loss of the thumb while sheet metal working, the stab wounds from his days as Nightclub Bouncer when patrons got rough, a bullet wound from a drive by shooting when he was in his "wild boy" phase and the list goes on. *

The Dr eventually ran out of page space on the computer and couldn't figure out how to create a new page on the computer. MM, being the computer tech, actually sat with him and showed him how! Anyway it seems MM and this Dr are now long life buddies and MM has a list of tests to be conducted for all the ailments he has.

He needs x-rays and a possible MRI for his knee, ultrasound for the injury to his shoulder which he never got seen to, and probable removal of some skin cancers. Plus tomorrow he has a barrage of blood tests to be done as well and then eventually the removal of the fluid on his knee once they find out how much damage has been done to it. And the Dr made him do a prostate test as well now he is 50 which MM is not happy about and the Dr also wants to do a colonoscopy for a haemorroid MM has had for some time and had been treated years ago but is now giving him grief. This is what happens when you delay the inevitable. We have put our cruise off till early next year so we can both be at our healthiest. No point going if MM has to be pushed around in a wheel chair! Although he said he wouldn't mind if it was a cute young nurse! I agreed and said it would be a cute young "male" nurse. He gave THAT look that said over my dead body. Well sweetheart that CAN be arranged *grin*

We went over our finances on the weekend and we have a grand total of $8,000 left on our house mortgage! So we figure that will be paid for by February; in March I have my Early Childhood Retreat to organise so our holiday/cruise we will aim for end of March/early April at the latest. We have waited this long...a few more months can't hurt.

Oh and I did order my Kindle on the weekend so it should be here this week although MM won't let me have it until Christmas since it will be a Christmas present. No fair! That was the condition of me getting one and MM thinks it is hilarious and keeps doing evil laughs in my direction every time I look at the list of books we have already downloaded ready to be put on it. *Sigh* Men can be so mean. I very rarely ask for anything and don't spend money on myself except on birthdays and Christmas so I can't wait!

7 comments:

Chris H said...

Hey chick, thanks for visiting my blog... a kindle eh? I want something like that, one I can listen to books while I'm sewing or whatever!
You must tell me what it's like...
AND I do hope all your hubby's tests come back A-OK.

Butterfly Kissez said...

Thanks Chris! And welcome to my blog! Yes hubby is a tough old nut...couldn't kill him even if I wanted to!

Colleen Barnett said...

Oh dear! How horrible for him! I am so glad he has finally found a doctor he trusts. Keep us posted on the knee thing.

I have to take Dobby back on Thursday as she still has those terrible pains in the stomach, and today had girlie ones to add to that. Sigh. I think the only people making money in the world are doctors. Certainly in my world..

Hugs for MM xxx

Colleen Barnett said...

PS I am currently using my Ebook reader (Iriver, not Kindle) and I LOVE it. You won't be disappointed! xxx

SOL's view said...

Hope MM does well with all the tests. I think it's funny that he gave the Dr advice. I've recently change my GP as well. Same surgery, just different Dr. He's also Indian, also very well spoken and exceedingly pleasant. He's great!

Have fun with the Kindle. I don't have one of those, but I do read e-books on mine. I love the convenience.

Anonymous said...

Jez, 3 blogs in a week! You must be bored at work! Dare I say it, MM is a typical male, have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the doctor when they can't stand the pain anymore! Get well and better soon MM, you've got a cruise to look forward to! When you've paid off your house, you can start paying off ours ha ha! Love SHAZ

Anonymous said...

love toni