Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Third Year Anniversary

Today is the third anniversary of my dad's passing which is sad as always but this year was the first time I got through the day without feeling down about it.  Probably because I thought the 6th was Thursday and I was psyched up for that day!  Anyway I posted a nice verse on Facebook then because work was so busy today, I plugged on and never really gave it too much more thought although at lunch time I did have a sit and think about dad but then got on with things again. 

I called mum after I got home from work to see how she was coping.  As you can imagine this time of year is very hard on her and as I suspected, she was a bit down but in reasonably better spirits this year.  We talked about her day and she talked a bit about dad and how 60 years ago today Dad was in England being Guard of Honour at Queen Elizabeth's Coronation.  He had been called back from fighting in the Korean War and was specially selected as one of a few Australian soldiers selected to be Guard of Honour.  He always spoke of attending the Royal Dinner with the Queen and was the dinner partner of Queen Salotti (unsure of spelling!) of Tonga who he said was an immensely massive woman who had to have a chair specially made to suit her large frame.  The Aussie soldiers had spent several weeks training how to eat properly, how to meet dignatories, how to march with the Queens Guards as well as learning to stand perfectly still for hours on end!  That was his big claim to fame!  He always told us how much he hated Charles and Anne, the prince and princess.  Apparently they were the biggest brats and would spend hours trying to get them all in trouble by trying to make them move.  Dad always said they were horrendously spoilt by the Queen.

Other than that my day was fine.  I managed to leave work at a reasonable hour.  Still icy cold outside but no wind tonight.  MM and I just had soup and toast for dinner as AJ works back late tonight and he generally gets his own dinner when he gets home.

Anyway almost time for The Amazing Race Australia.  This one makes me laugh.  There is some silly woman in it who is insisting on wearing her "hunners" - high heel runners!  And she looks ridiculous.  That along with her little g-string, tiny short skirt and her boobs popping out of her top as she runs and her makeup makes her look like a clown!  But her boyfriend on the race with her seems to love her.  She is good entertainment!

Nighty night!

Ciao xoxoxox

2 comments:

Chris H said...

Eee gads... high heel runners? Take a photo and post it, we don't get that programme here.

Colleen Barnett said...

Wow, Fee, I'm impressed. I didn't know your dad was at the Queen's coronation. Very neat!

Don't forget, she made her shoes from a pair of comfy high heels, and bought a pair of runners and took them to some repair shop for them to attach them. Custom made.

I don't like her. She's horrid...