Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Thought Processes....

...of late have been in a state of confusion. So much to do, so much to think about and there are days I just want to jump off the Gateway Bridge! Well I'm just kidding about the last part. For one I am a little afraid of heights and secondly diving has never been my forte and knowing my luck I would just do a massive belly flop which would really really hurt and it might not kill me anyway!

Friday 28 August, which I mentioned before would have been my dad's birthday, was really nice. I took the day off and mum also decided she would take the afternoon off work. She rang me early that morning to see if I would like to go with her on a couple of her appointments then we could do lunch. Sounded great so I took my book to read while she popped in to see a couple of War Widows who luck would have it lived along the waterfront at Redcliffe so I sat in the park to read while mum visited and she was done by 11:30am. So we decided to head to Scarborough and go to Morgans which sells the nicest seafood. They have a fish and chip restaurant there as well which is always crowded no matter what time of the day or week it is. It wasn't too bad when we got there so we grabbed fish and chips and drove down to the waterfront at Redcliffe and sat near the beach and ate our lunch. I had a photo of dad as well so we popped him up on the table with us just like he was eating with us and wished him a happy birthday then talked about the fun times we have had as a family...a few tears but it really was nice and I think for both of us it lifted a weight off our shoulders. We went for a short walk along the beach as well and it was just the perfect day.



Monday 31 August 2009

Today I was off work as I had another dizzy spell and decided I had better get myself to the doctors. So I now have a heap of blood tests to get which I will do this week as there was too much to do at work this week to get there. I also have a referral to the eye doctor just in case the dizziness is due to bad eyesight. My doctor tells me I also have low blood pressure which can be caused by stress but I will have everything checked out and I'll let you know what happens when I get the test results back.

Mum rang me that night to tell me she went and picked up dad's ashes. She has decided she wants him at home and she wanted to see if any of us kids want some. Apparently they will do pendants and such with ashes if family want them. I politely refused...She also got a letter from Veterans Affairs apologising for their earlier mistake and they are organising another plaque which will go up on the War Memorial Wall at Pinaroo. She also received a letter from the War Graves Commission who advised that dad is entitled to have his niche paid for in full as well which was nice to know. But I think mum is hell bent on keeping dad at home and it makes her happy so we will go with whatever makes her happy. She told me how just having dad's ashes in the car lifted a huge weight off her shoulders. She couldn't describe the feeling but she said she felt amazingly calm and no longer sad about him being gone. I like to think it was dad's way of saying thank you for letting him come home.

As for the other family, we are not going to worry about them at this point in time. We didn't know about them for 45 odd years so I think we will let sleeping dogs lie. If they decide they want to get in touch and know more about dad they are welcome to but I know I won't be searching them out. We don't love dad or mum any less for knowing...such is life...these things happen and playing the "what if..." game will get us nowhere. We were a family for 43 years, mum, dad, my sister, brother and I and that will never change.

Weekend of 5 September 2009

Well after weeks of planning our early childhood conference was held on Saturday. Myself and my colleagues all arrived early to set up and greet all the delegates and I must say it was a huge success. We got them all to complete evaluation forms and the response was extremely positive. It was a great job done by us if I do say so myself :) Because we all worked on Saturday we will get a day off this week and I will use mine to get my tests all done. I am so glad its all over. So much work goes into just one day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is slowly settling. lol Toni xx