Monday, May 16, 2011

Terrible Tuesday...

Tuesday...another work day for me. You are probably wondering why I am suddenly in the blogging mood? Because work is soooo quiet and I am soooo bored! So I resort to blogging just to fill in the hours between coming to work and going home again.

This morning's train trip was a lesson in patience. The train was broken...again...the third time this last week or so. Today it was the train door in the carriage I was on. It just didn't want to close so we had to sit at each station for five minutes waiting for the door to automatically shut. About half an hour in, some bright spark at Queensland Rail decided to lock the door, rendering it useless and thus we were happily sailing off to the city again. BUT because the train was now considered broken it would finish it's journey one stop before mine...AGAIN! So at Roma Street station our train terminated and those of us wanting to get the one station beyond that were forced to wait on an icy, wind blown platform waiting for the next train which *Surprise Surprise* was going to be delayed a further 20 minutes because one of the signals decided it was too cold to come to work today and closed itself down bringing all the trains into and leaving Roma Street station to a dead stop. *sigh* So this meant I was an hour late to work...AGAIN! There is a few of us in our office who catch the same train so at least the boss knows it is just not me! The lady who had been sitting next to me on the train was in a highly distressed state. She had never caught the train before and was going to be severely late for a very important appointment. I felt so sorry for the poor thing. We chatted for a bit and I reassured her this happened at least 2 or 3 times a week and she was shocked! It's a way of life in Brisbane really. And really any boss in Brisbane who fires an employee because they got stuck on a train is a "bum" to paraphrase Bob Hawke!

Anyway I got to finish my book while waiting to get to work. This got the lady beside me fascinating over my Kindle so we talked about that for a bit and I told her where I got mine and how cheap they are currently so I think I convinced her she needed one especially if she was going to be a regular train traveller!

I have been reading all of Charlaine Harris's books which I downloaded for the KIndle. She wrote the True Blood series about the vampires which became a TV show. The books are better than the series but its kind of weird because I saw the first 3 seasons of the series first before reading the book and the books are rather different. The main characters are the same but the TV show took a lot of poetic licence with the book and the story lines are really different. Frankly the book's storylines were so much better than the TV show.

Her new book series is called the "Real Murders Series" and is the one I am reading now. The main character is named Aurora Teagarden and it's kind of one of those corny kind of mystery stories where the main character lives in a small southern US state, she's a boring librarian with no life, no man and a member of the "Real Murders" club where they all sit around trying to solve old unsolved murder mysteries and read murder books etc. Suddenly all the members of this club start getting murdered and the main character gets caught up in it. I am now up to Book 6 and for such a small town, there are an awful lot of murders and all of them just happen to take place in the character's back yard so to speak! Very corny but entertaining reading especially on a long train trip!

Well time for me to head off and catch a train. Got to head to the shops on the way and get some supplies. Thinking about making my very own soup for dinner...what sort I haven't decided yet. It's the night for comfort food!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The moral of the story is, get an earlier train to compensate for being late! Had that crap happen too. When we came back from Hobart a couple of years ago, we caught the airtrain at the airport to go to Roma St and our carriage had a smashed up window. When we got to central station, they kicked us off with all our luggage, 'because it was a safety issue' and put us on another train just to go to the next station! Why bother?! Hey what's this Jellybean Jungle blog? Shaz

Colleen Barnett said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience. aaah, public transport. Our trams were out of action the other day because of a power outage. If I had a job in the city I could take a tram or the train. I get bus sick, and the stations for both Tram and Train are not far from home. I can walk to the train station, and drive to the Tram, but wouldn't walk in winter anyway.

I was given a stack of paperback true crimes for Christmas so my ebook reader is on vacation right now. Love it, though! Pity the only free books are old classic types. Must save some money and buy some decent ones soon!

SOL's view said...

The joys of public transport! I usually catch a bus these days, although sometimes I break out and get the train. So far I think I've been lucky and more often than not, they run on time.

When I don't get a lift that is. I pay him $20 a week. Or $50 for public transport. Bit of a no brainer really. :D